__________________ Period _____
Reading Study Guide Chapter 2 Living Things Updated 10/6/2009
2-1 What is Life? (pp.34-40)
The Characteristics of Living Things (p.34-35)
1. What is an organism? ____________________________________
2-7. List six characteristics that all living things
8. All organisms are made of small building blocks called ________________.
9. Unicellular organisms are composed of one cell many cells
10. Organisms composed of many cells are called _________________.
11. Most cells are so small you need a ____________________ to see them.
12. Circle the letter of the most abundant chemical found in
a. Nucleic Acids
13. A ____________ is a change in an organism's surroundings
that causes the organism
14. A _____________ is a reaction to a stimulus.
15-16. Identify as a stimulus or a response
A blister appears _______________ You burn your finger __________________
17. The process of becoming larger is called ______________________.
18. What is development?
19. All organisms can _____________________, or produce more of their own kind.
Life Comes From Life (p.36-37)
20. What is spontaneous generation?
21. Francesco Redi designed an experiment to show that ________________________
22. The ______________ _______________ is the factor a
scientist changes in an
23. Maggots appeared on the meat in the jar that was ___________________.
24. When Pasteur boiled the broth what happened to the bacteria in the flask? ______
25. The experiments of Redi and Pasteur convinced people
that living things do not arise
from _________________ ________________.
The Needs of Living Things (p.38-40)
26-29 Complete this Graphic Organizer to show what living things need to survive.
30. Organisms that make their own food are called heterotrophs autotrophs
31. Organisms that cannot make their own food are called autotrophs heterotrophs
Frogs and Rainfall Graph (Look at the graph on p.39)
32. Does the graph tell which year each frog count was made? Yes No
33. The frog count was the lowest when the spring rainfall was 5cm 20cm
34. What was the greatest number of frogs that the scientist recorded? _______
35. What is the relationship between the number
of frogs and the amount of spring rain?
a. The greater the rainfall, the smaller number of frogs.
b. The greater the rainfall, the larger number of frogs.
c. The amount of rainfall did not effect the number of frogs.
36. What is homeostasis? _______________________________________________
37. How does a barnacle keep water in its cells during low tide? __________________
38. A bird sitting on a tree branch flies away as you walk by.
Is this a stimulus or a response to your walking by? _____________________
39-42. Describe how your pet, or a friend's
pet, meets its need as a living thing.
|How does the pet get water?||
|How does the pet get food?|
|Where is the pet's living space?|
How does the pet keep warm?
How does the pet keep cool?