CLASSIFICATION SCAVENGER HUNT
Names __________________________________Period ______ Date _______
Go to Infoplease.com
1. What is another name for the classification system of
classifying living things?
2. What are the seven divisions in this system in order from most general to most specific?
3. Name the five kingdoms agreed upon by most scientist.___________________________
4. How are species identified? __________________________________________________
5. Go to Factmonster.com and
write the purpose of classifying organisms.
6. Go to Examples of Systematic
Classification and identify the kingdoms, phylum, class, order,
family, genus, and species of the Rhesus monkey.
7. In what kingdom is Haircap.moss?
8. Using the Sample Classification shown, what phylum is the lion classified and why?
Go to Life Science Safari
9. Name the three different shapes of bacteria.
10. Which kingdom is referred to as "little creatures swimming around in a drop of pond water?"
11. Which of these kingdoms is also known as the Monera
12. Which of these don't move or contain chlorophyll and therefore cannot make their own food?
13. Which kingdom is many-celled and contains chlorophyll, which enables them to make their own
14. Go to Earthfoot.org to find the one difference in the classification level of animals and plants.
Go to The Plant Kingdom
15. Why is plant categorization more difficult than animals?
16. From what is it believed land plants evolved? __________________________________________
17. Into what two large groups are plants traditionally
divided and what is the main difference?
Go to Natural
18. What are the four classification systems for plants? _________________________________
Go to Plant Kingdom to
19. What two groups of plants make up vascular plants? _________________________________
20. In what group are ferns? _______________________________________________________
21. In what group are gymnosperms and angiosperms? ____________________________________
Go to Factmonster.com
22. Into what two groups/divisions are animals classified? _________________________________
23. Which group of animals are cold-blooded, breathe with
lungs, have scales, and usually lay eggs?
24. Which group of animals are the largest and most diverse
of all animals, and have segmented
bodies supported by an exoskeleton?_______________________________________________
25. Try using Inspiration to form a concept web showing the classification of organisms.